Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Showme



This is an iPad app that turns the screen into an interactive whiteboard to create videos. You can access the videos from a computer but you can only create them on an iPad. You are able to set them up for your students with an under 14 tag. Students can create their own videos very easily with pictures, their own drawings, or writing on the screen. You can pause while recording and change or clear the screen if needed.



When I used this a lot I was able to upload unlimitedly for free but through this research I discovered that you can now only upload 5 videos for free and you can only make students accounts if you pay. There is also a school rate that is not shared but it would be interested in getting the school rate to have access to all parts of this app.

I have used this to create mini tutorials, mini lessons for substitute teachers, math problems to help with homework for parents and kids, students teaching other students, students sharing their learning or presentations, and much more. The possibilities are endless with this app. You can also search on the website to find videos that other people created to learn about a certain topic or a certain strategy for a math problem. I have done this with students as young as first grade.
The only drawbacks that I have had is finding a very quiet (silent) place for the students to record their videos. You also can not delete the recording and record your voice again for the pictures you have made. You have to delete the whole video and start over. This can be very frustrating to the students so they are very respectful to each other and work hard to be silent while their peers are recording.

Here are a few examples of showmes, I couldn't embed them so you can click the links.

First grade math problem video
How to create a showme video with a showme video.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

Hi! I am Amy Santos. I teach in Peace Dale Elementary school. I taught 2nd grade last year. I will be teaching Special education next year. ...